It doesn't seem to matter how hard i push myself, the next day I'm always ready for a good stomp. The are between Penrose and Canon City is a mecca for prisons-State, Federal, Juvenile, death row prisons to name a few. There's even an old 19th century prison in the centre of Canon City. Canon City itself is fantastic. Once you get past the obligatory skanky strip mall, there's all sorts of fun to be had; quirky shops, nice people, interesting museums, all set under the backdrop of the red cliffs looming above. After a lovely chat with the lady in the tourist info office, I've decided to take a detour tomorrow to the Royal Gorge. Apparently it's gorgeous haha.

My afternoon was spent hiking up an 8 mile hill ascending ,000ft. In a flash of genius the locals named it 8 mile hill-brilliant. Personally i would call it 8 and a bit mile hill but that would just be pedantic. The bonus point of the day was that i was able to camp in a free camping spot complete with a covered seating area only a mile from the Gorge. The site itself is sat at the top of a big hill with 360 degree views. With no-one else stupid enough to camp this time of year i had the campsite, views and silence all to myself. For the first time i hung my food up a tree, Yogi ain't eatin' my grub.