There has to be a balance in life; good-bad; hot-cold; beautiful-minging. This is also true of my coast to coast walk, I've just had it too good up to now. Pretty much everyone that has crossed the States has detoured around the Rockies, and for good reason. Personally the Rockies have been the highlight of my journey, and if i had to plan it all over again i wouldn't change a thing, this bit's for me. However if the Rockies are my Ying, then the upcoming Indian reservations are my Yang. Even during the planning stages i knew the reservations would be tough being in the desert wilderness for 4 days at a time. I'm prepared and ready.

Local knowledge has thrown up a major issue. The general concensus from locals, police and even Indians is that walking through the reservations alone for 300 miles would be very dangerous. A small minority of the local population are renowned for muggings, drink driving and taking pot shots at people. They don't tell you that on the interweb. Basically I need a faster means of travel, and there is no way I'm getting a bus or hitching. So I've decided on a compromise in true Nick 'challenge' Mof fashion and it's going to be fun, this is my adventure and i can do whatever i want. "A bicycle!" i hear you cry. No, that would be waaay too easy. I've got myself a skateboard, or longboard to be exact. After reaching Cortez it's going to be 'nickskatesamerica' for a while. You could almost write a book about this.