This was pretty much my day, straight roads of nothing whilst looking like a convict. I did finish in civilisation, the historic town of Council Grove, once the gateway to Santa Fe and beyond. Entering the town there was a big sign reading 'you're always welcome in Council Grove', unfortunately that wasn't the vibe i got. The older locals were staring and untalkative, whilst the youngsters stereotyped themselves as uneducated wasters, driving around in their rusty cars with cheap stereos playing 90's R&B. If only i was that cool, oh well it's nothing a good old fashioned rifle couldn't sort out. My luck changed when in the library trying to find a place to camp on the web. I got chatting to a guy who's name i can't spell and he ended up letting me stay in an empty apartment of his. We spent the evening relaxing on his porch talking politics, religion, and other such deep subjects like girls. He was a top man, and i'm indebted to him.