When i left Towner at 6.30am it was colder than Maggie Thatcher in a grump. 2 hours later it was hotter than Kelly Brooke washing my car topless. It's almost worth fighting the cold to see the sunrise, but not quite. Not expecting to see civilisation for 3 days, it was almost orgasmic seeing a newly opened gas station in Sheridan Lake. Fate had brought us together, but not because they sold coffee.

After using a real toilet i happily munched on my lunch outside. A very smiley guy called Randy (picture) pulled up and offered me a lift. It was like a scene out if 'Me, Myself and Irene' but i managed to pull myself together, say no thank you and explained the unplanned, idiotic, unthoughout trip i was undertaking. A couple hours later Randy stopped on his way back home and passed me a couple of ice cold beers-top man. Another hour later he came back, this time with food, Gatorade and more beer from his wife. People aren't too well off here so it was humbling that Randy was prepared to do so much for a complete stranger. He even called his friend Mary and got permission for me to camp in her garden in Chivington. She was lovely too. Later on when local Sheriff Casey stopped for my first Colorado ID check, he knew both of them and was extremely helpful and courteous too, it's like the Waltons out here i tell ya.

All in all its been a very enjoyable day. My pack is fuller and heavier than it ever has been and I've still managed 26 miles. I hate to say it, but for once i think I'm actually looking forward to tomorrow.